|Kids Who Care
Are you looking for a way for your children to get involved in our community of caring? If so, we have the perfect opportunity for you! The Anti-Cruelty Society’s Kids Who Care program offers families with children between the ages of 2 – 10 an opportunity to engage in our work while inspiring kids and adults alike! Whether through crafting, coloring, or direct service, your family will have the chance to make a direct impact on the life of a shelter pet in our care.
Who: Families with children between the ages of 2–10. We require one adult participant per every 2 children in your group.
When: The first Saturday of every month from 10-11:30 a.m.
Where: The Anti-Cruelty Society, 169 West Grand Avenue
Cost: The cost of registration is $20 for each child in your group.
What are the benefits of the Kids Who Care program?
- Introduces children to basic pet care and safety
- Encourages the development of empathy
- Paves the way for a lifelong ethic of service
- Offers children the chance to meet a shelter pet
What will we be doing during the Kids Who Care event?
- A member of our Community Programs team will kick off your visit with a short presentation about the organization along with basic animal safety information.
- Following the presentation, families will have the opportunity to take part in a variety of mini volunteer activities, which may include:
- Reading as a family to an adoptable cat in our cage-less kitty room, Charlotte’s Cat Corner
- Preparing a snack to feed to one of our small animals, like a rabbit or guinea pig
- Making a toy for a shelter cat or dog
- Decorating an “Adoption Ambassador” flier to post in the community
- At the end of the event, children will have the opportunity to reflect on their experience by:
- Drawing their favorite part of the morning
- Completing our Kids Who Care pledge
Frequently asked questions:
- My child is allergic to cats but still wants to take part. Is that possible?
All of the activities in the Kids Who Care program can be tailored for each family depending on age, allergies, experience and comfort level. Simply email our team at email@example.com after registering for an event so that we can have alternate activities available for you during your visit.
- My child has peanut allergies. Are you a peanut-free facility?
Though we do not use peanut butter in this particular program, the Anti-Cruelty Society is not a peanut-free facility. We utilize peanut butter throughout the building as an enrichment item for dogs in our care. Participation of children with peanut allergies is at the parent’s discretion.
- How many children can you accommodate per family?
We ask that there is at lease one adult attendee available per 2 children in your group to make the most of your experience. Contact our Community Programs team at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to make a special accommodation.
- My children’s babysitter is interested in attending in my place. Do you allow for people other than parents or guardians to attend?
We welcome other adults to accompany your child to a Kids Who Care event, but require that a special waiver be completed first. To make special arrangements, please contact our Community Programs team directly at email@example.com.