Empowering foster parents to make successful adoption matches between pets and people
The Anti-Cruelty Society’s Adoption Ambassadors program was created to help long term shelter animals find their forever homes through foster care.
This innovative program, originally piloted by the ASPCA, empowers people to recruit, screen and approve adopters for animals who are available for adoption. Perfect for families or individuals who are interested in becoming foster providers, but may be reluctant to bring home a sick, underage, or under-socialized pet, all of the animals who enter the Adoption Ambassadors program are adoption-ready. Animals who enter the program are up to date on vaccinations, micro-chipped, spayed or neutered, and are ready with an adoption profile, behavior screening, and promotional photo. To see a list of animals available for the program, visit our cat and dog adoption galleries.
Become an Adoption Ambassador
The Anti-Cruelty Society provides all Adoption Ambassadors with foster program training, coaching, and animal care resources, including veterinary care, dry kibble, and behavioral support. Adoption Ambassadors are also provided with a media kit and marketing support for each animal they take into their care.
- Allows cats and dogs the opportunity to reside in a home, rather than shelter, environment as they await adoption
- Empowers our fosters to make successful adoption matches resulting in lower return rates
- Allows adopters a chance to gain more intimate information about an animal’s personality
- Gives fosters the chance to connect with their animals’ forever families and build long-term relationships post-adoption
- Expands our shelter walls, engages the community and spreads our message of caring throughout the city
- Pet care experience
- Outgoing personality
- Support of our mission and philosophies
- Access to a reliable source of transportation
- Primary caretaker must be at least 18 years of age
- Active email address and social media account
- Proof of vaccination for all animals already within the household
Adoption Ambassador Responsibilities
- Provide basic animal care
- Compile weekly animal update for Foster Blog
- Participate in at least 1 public adoption event each month
- Participate in 1 media appearance each month
Ready to change the life of an animal by joining the Adoption Ambassador team! Follow each step below to get involved in this unique program.
Step 1: Complete a Foster Program Application
Step 2: Attend Foster Orientation
After we review your candidacy for the Foster Program, a member of our staff will contact you regarding training. During a one-on-one foster orientation, our staff will teach you the ins and outs of how to select, pick-up, care for, and return your foster animal. You will also learn valuable training techniques, as well as what to do in the event of an emergency. We’ll also coach you on how to recruit and screen potential adopters for your foster animals. Foster orientation also includes a behind-the-scenes tour of the Society.
Step 3: Schedule First Foster
Once you have completed foster orientation, you will be in touch with our foster support team to schedule your first care cycle. At the time of your first pick-up, you will also be asked to pay a one-time $25 foster fee, which will be applied toward your foster license registration with the state of Illinois.
If you have questions regarding our traditional foster track, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming Foster Events
Foster Open House 9/12 2 – 4 p.m. The Adoption Center 510 N. LaSalle
Join our Volunteer Services team and current foster volunteers as we gather to talk all about the foster program. You’re invited to come in to learn more about what becoming a foster parent is all about. We will offer behind-the-scenes tours of The Anti-Cruelty Society, answer your questions about our foster program, give you a chance to meet current foster animals, and more! No RSVP required.
Adoption Ambassadors Kick-Off Party 9/26 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. The Education Center 169 W. Grand Avenue
If you’ve been interested in taking part in our Adoption Ambassadors program, you won’t want to miss this event! We’ll be hosting an informational and training session to our newest program recruits to kick-off our six month campaign to adopt out a record-breaking number of animals through this unique project. Learn more about the Adoption Ambassadors program here. To RSVP to attend the kick-off, email us at email@example.com