Toxicology

Animals eat the craziest things! From chewing on cut flowers to devouring an entire cake, many household substances, plants, medications, and “people food” can be toxic to animals. If you suspect your pet ingested something he/she should not have, call your veterinarian or an emergency veterinary clinic immediately. ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center can be reached at 1-888-426-4435, there is a charge for service.

Some common foods that can be toxic:

  • Alcohol
  • Avocado
  • Caffeine
  • Chocolate
  • Grapes and raisins
  • Onion, garlic, and chives
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Xylitol (sweetener often used in candy and gum)
  • Yeast dough

 

More than 700 plants are known to be toxic to pets. Some common plants that can be toxic are listed below. A user friendly searchable database of toxic plants can be found at www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants.

  • Aloe
  • Azalea
  • Caladium
  • Dieffenbachia
  • Easter lily
  • Holly
  • Lily of the Valley
  • Mistletoe
  • Philodendron
  • Rhododendron
  • Spider plant
  • Umbrella tree (Schefflera)

 

Miscellaneous toxic items include:

  • Antifreeze (ethylene glycol)
  • Most pesticides and herbicides
  • Potpourri
  • Zinc (from eating pennies minted after 1982)

 

 

Thank you to our partners whose support makes our work possible