Vice President (VP), Marketing & Communications
About The Anti-Cruelty Society
The Anti-Cruelty Society of Chicago has been building a community of caring since 1899. The Anti-Cruelty Society is an open-admission organization and believes that all animals should be treated humanely and with compassion.
Are you looking to help build brand stories worthy of coverage, conversation and engagement – all while helping pets?
Reporting to the president, and serving as an integral member of the senior management team, the Vice President (VP), Marketing & Communications will be responsible for development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership. The role entails but is not limited to: establishing communication (with an emphasis on public relations) objectives and strategies, creating effective media plans, guiding the development and production of all external communications, instituting effective internal communications and crisis management strategies and crafting digital communication strategies. The VP will oversee communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect The Anti-Cruelty Society’s brand reputation and increase its visibility.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS | RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops and implements a public relations strategy for the Society to promote and increase awareness of the brand. Ensures brand consistency throughout the organization and channels; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences.
- Oversees all external communications for the Society to bring awareness of the mission and to encourage support and advocacy.
- Spearheads the creation of a distinctive and effective public voice of the Society; seeks out and identifies opportunities to position the President and other influential staff within key public platforms. Creates talking points, speeches, white papers, and op-eds with this strategy in mind.
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the Society.
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding the Society’s programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
- Provides strategic direction for the Society’s existing media relationships while simultaneously formulating a regular presence and solid relationships with new media.
- Establishes policies and practices that maintain high communication standards. Evaluates and measures the effectiveness of communications programs. Uses results to strengthen the planning and execution of future programs.
- Manages a comprehensive strategic program for creating and sustaining relationships with elected and appointed officials at all governmental levels.
- Serves as resource for all staff in developing appropriate, consistent, and effective messaging
- Manages assigned staff, including selection, job assignment, training and development, evaluation, salary review, promotion, discipline, and separation.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned.
The ideal candidate must have demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communication, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization’s mission and goals with a passion for The Anti-Cruelty Society’s mission. Must be creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized, have exceptional communication skills, written, verbal, and interpersonal. Must have well-developed management skills – principles and people – with proven ability to supervise staff and have successful writing and editing experience across print and online communications media. An innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output with the ability to work under tight schedules and meet deadlines is required. The ability to work effectively under pressure and effectively manage sensitive/crisis communication and controversial issues and have a high level of energy, be self-motivated, confident, and make strong, compelling presentations to diverse audiences. Must also have the ability to establish credibility and be decisive – but able to recognize and support the organization’s preferences and priorities and possess well-developed interpersonal skills with the ability to get along well with diverse personalities – tactful, mature, and flexible. Must represent The Anti-Cruelty Society in a professional manner at all times and interact courteously and respectfully with Board of Directors, supervisors, fellow employees, volunteers, agencies|partners and the general public. The ability to handle confidential information and use discretion when dealing with employee, financial, or board matters is required. Must also have the ability to translate strategy into strong and compelling communication messages and simplify complex information for media and other audiences. A solid understanding of, and significant experience with, traditional, digital, and social media communications and marketing concepts and principles are required and must also be proficiency in Microsoft Office and other related software and database applications.
Bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in Journalism, PR, Marketing, or Communications. Master’s Degree is preferred. A minimum of seven years’ of relevant public relations experience gained through increasingly responsible management positions.
Note: A comparable combination of education, experience or training that would provide the level of knowledge, skills and ability required may qualify an individual.
Ability to work at computer for long periods of time and must be available to work special events that may occur outside of regular work schedule, including evenings, weekends or holidays, as assigned.
Please submit a letter of interest, including a salary history and expectations, a writing sample and a resume for consideration. Pay will be commensurate with experience and ability. Please note that applications that do not include all required documentation will not be considered.
Direct all applications to:
The Anti-Cruelty Society
ATTN: Meshia Burrell, Director of Human Resources
157 West Grand Avenue
Chicago IL 60654
Facsimile: (888) 391-0164
No phone calls please