Animal Behavior and Intake Manager
The Anti-Cruelty Society is accepting applications for a full-time Animal Behavior/Intake Manager. This position reports to the Director of Shelter Services with responsibilities to include overseeing all intake and behavior processes and programs. This includes the management of the Society’s behavior resource library and Behavior Help line.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develop and implement procedures to conduct initial evaluations of animals including health assessments, assignment of tracking numbers, initial vaccinations and deworming.
- Monitor staff and customer relations to ensure a positive experience.
- In cooperation with Shelter Managers, supervise intake by appointment process to ensure consistency.
- Provide daily direction and communication to employees. Provide continual evaluation of processes and procedures. Responsible for suggesting methods to improve area operations, efficiency and service to both internal and external customers.
- Provide appropriate coaching, counseling, direction and resolution.
- Ensure employees have appropriate training and other resources to perform their jobs.
- Respond to and resolve employee relations issues expressed by team members; create and maintain high quality work environment so team members are motivated to perform at their highest level.
- Use appropriate judgment in communication regarding department or employee concerns.
- Oversee population management by determining which animals are designated as adoptable, treatable or subject to euthanasia.
- Oversee and perform enrichment activities and behavior modification.
- Prepare and distribute information as a supplement to behavior counseling.
- Ensure Charlotte’s Cat Corner population is maintained.
- Oversee shelter and private behavior assessments. Ensure shelter behavior assessments are completed in a timely manner.
- Keep abreast of department specific topics.
- Instruct SoDT classes and substitute for absent instructors. Provide counseling and/or training to the general public in regards to companion animal behavior.
- In conjunction with the Director of Shelter Services, organize and monitor the budget looking to maximize revenue and minimize expense.
- Respond to Behavior Help line inquires (via email or voicemail) professionally and knowledgeably.
- Create and perform employee workshops and seminars.
- Contribute ideas and articles to the Society’s publications and website.
- Perform humane euthanasia.
- Must adhere to PetSmart Charities policies and procedures.
- Foster a positive working relationship with PetSmart management and staff.
- Assume other duties as assigned which may include coverage at satellite locations as well as assuming the role of a Shelter Manager.
- Maintain a professional and clean work area.
- Attend Society sponsored programs, meetings, events and funded seminars when applicable.
- Work with and assist other departments on projects as necessary.
The ideal candidate must be experienced in Microsoft Office, understand all of The Anti-Cruelty Society’s policies and procedures and be able to communicate them to the public.
Must possess excellent public speaking skills in order to effectively and professionally facilitate programs, lectures and discussions as well as present a neat and professional appearance to the public as well as a polite and friendly demeanor. The ability to interact courteously and respectfully with supervisors, fellow employees, volunteers, visitors and general public is also required.
Bachelor’s degree preferred. CPDT required within two years of hire. Certified Euthanasia Technician within one year of hire. A minimum of one year of supervisory experience is required with a minimum of two years of animal training experience. Must have a valid Illinois Driver’s License with a clean driving record and have the ability to drive a cargo van.
Note: A comparable combination of education, experience or training that would provide the level of knowledge, skills and ability required may qualify an individual.
Please submit a letter of interest, including a salary history and expectations and a resume for consideration. Sorry but we will not be able to consider applications without these documents.
Direct all applications to:
The Anti-Cruelty Society
ATTN: Meshia Burrell
Director of Human Resources
157 West Grand Avenue
Chicago IL 60654
Facsimile: (888) 391-0164
No phone calls please